Alumni Spotlight: Michael Denning

Name: Michael Denning

Graduation Year: 2019

Major (minor if applicable): Public Health Studies; Science minor

Graduate Degrees: Master of Business Administration with a Healthcare Management Certificate (ECU), Master of Public Health with a concentration in Epidemiology (Columbia University)

What is one of your favorite memories from ECU?

ECU has granted me amazing opportunities that I do not believe I would have had at any other institution. There are several memories I have ranging from developing friendships, advocating for equity and inclusion through programming, attending conferences, and providing engaging tours for prospective students. One potent memory would be hosting fourth and fifth graders from Wahl-Coates Elementary School for day-long field trips. For three years, I served as a field trip coordinator for the students and gave them a first-hand look at college life. The students connected with athletes, visited dorms, sat in classrooms and even spoke with professors that were available. These experiences truly supported my belief that, “if you can see it, you can believe it; therefore, you can achieve it!”

What did you do in the year immediately after graduating?

Immediately after graduating, I furthered my passion in public health by earning my Master in Public Health from Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health in New York City. This was an enriching experience. I completed the degree in one year by utilizing their advanced track curriculum, and I was able to learn from and shadow leading professionals and doctors in the healthcare field.

What is your current job (or degree program if still in school)?

I am currently enrolled at the Brody School of Medicine at ECU, as a first year medical student. Although this year has been challenging with the COVID-19 pandemic, I have still been able to form valuable connections with classmates, as well as remain rooted in my passion of community service through school-aged childcare.

Provide a brief summary of your career since graduation.

After graduation, I worked as the Work Based Learning Coordinator for the NC Business Committee for Education or NCBCE, a nonpartisan, nonprofit that is housed in the Office of the Governor. The goal of this organization is to provide work-based learning opportunities to students through employer engagement in the public and private sector. During this experience, I was able to build out equitable programming for minority students and assist with the development of the DRIVE Summit (Developing a Representative and Inclusive Vision for Education), a conference focused on minority educator recruitment, retention, and preparation. It was amazing to return to an organization I had interned with as a Marian Drane Scholar, during my undergraduate career.

How did your Honors College experience contribute to your success?

As a former Honors College Graduate Assistant, I often spoke to prospective students about “The Check.” I let them know that when selecting a college, it was pertinent that the school provided them not only financial resources, but also resources for their collegiate success and post-graduate success. From studying abroad, performing research, and connecting with faculty, The Honors College contributed greatly to my overall success. (and the scholarship did not hurt!!)

What advice do you have for current students?

Recently, my motto has been, “Do what you can, how you can, when you can.” With everything going on in society, it is critical that we utilize our privilege and platform to push change. This push can occur inside and outside of the classroom. Continue to do your best academically by striving for excellence, while also utilizing your resources and asking for help. It has been a challenging time, so stay calm, remember you are not alone, and embrace all “things” that comes your way! And remember, at the end of the day, all anyone can do is “what they can, how they can, when they can!”

Did you study abroad in college? If so, where and what did you like most about the experience?

During my time at ECU, I studied abroad three times. I went to London, England for two weeks with the Public Health Studies Program, the Dominican Republic with Timmy Global Health and ECU’s Biology Department, and to Northern Ireland on ECU’s Center for Leadership and Civic Engagements first international Alternative Break Experience. With my passions for public health and youth development, these experiences provided me the opportunity to explore and learn about different cultures, as well as garner a better understanding of how various healthcare systems operated. Also, having hot tea and crumpets in England was a pretty interesting experience, especially for a sweet tea-loving southerner!

Do you have any social media handles that you want us to tag?

You can connect with Michael on LinkedIn.