Alumni Spotlight: Sydney Howard

Name: Sydney Howard

Graduation Year: 2016

Major (minor if applicable): Bachelor of Science in Nursing

Graduate Degree: Doctor of Nursing Practice

What is one of your favorite memories from ECU?

Football games aside, one of my favorite memories at ECU was a Living Learning trip to Virginia, where we met with HC donors and toured Monticello.

What did you do in the year immediately after graduating?

The year immediately after graduating, I started my job as a Medical ICU (MICU) Nurse at Duke University Hospital.

What is your current job (or degree program if still in school)? Provide a brief summary of your career since graduation.

I have continued working as a MICU nurse at Duke University Hospital. I have also gone back to ECU to become a Doctor of Nursing Practice as a Family Nurse Practitioner. I will graduate in May as a Family Nurse Practitioner.

How did your Honors College experience contribute to your success?

Being from Pennsylvania, the Honors College gave me like-minded friends who turned into my family away from home. The resources the Honors College provided allowed me to succeed both in and out of the classroom. The Honors College faculty challenged me academically and pushed for my continued success. I am forever grateful for the knowledge gains and opportunities presented to me through the Honors College. ECU Honors College is what brought me to ECU in the first place.

What advice do you have for current students?

Take school one day at a time. Enjoy the moment, and capitalize on the fun extracurriculars offered within the Honors College. One day you’ll look back and realize those times with friends were simply the best!

Do you have any social media handles that you want us to tag?

You can connect with Sydney on:
Instagram: @sydneyhoward13
Facebook: Sydney Howard