Alumni Spotlight: Victoria Neff

Name: Victoria Nicole Neff

Graduation Year: 2015

Major (minor if applicable): Dual Bachelor of Fine Arts degrees in Theatre Education and Theatre for Youth Performance

Graduate Degrees: Master of Arts in Educational Theatre in Colleges and Communities from New York University-Steinhardt

What is one of your favorite memories from ECU?

My sophomore year, I took Dr. Deborah Thomson’s honors seminar Puppet Shows that Make a Difference. In the course, we learned about puppet performance techniques, script writing, advertising techniques and critical information about health and nutrition. With these components, we created and performed a puppet show for after-school groups for elementary students in Pitt County. I enjoyed using my theatrical talents to encourage these children to make healthy choices. Also, I loved performing in A Christmas Carol at Wright Auditorium. It’s a powerful story of redemption, and I was honored to be able to share it with young audience members and their families.

What did you do in the year immediately after graduating?

The summer after I graduated, I was a Teaching Assistant for the Theatre Arts class through Duke TIP Summer Studies. This is a program for academically gifted middle school students. I taught theatre arts at Forestview High School in Gastonia, NC. In class, I led lessons in pantomime, improvisation, play analysis, and technical theatre. As an extra-curricular activity, we collaborated with the choral director and presented The Sound of Music.

What is your current job (or degree program if still in school)?

I am a drama teacher at Beaufort Middle School in Beaufort, SC.

Provide a brief summary of your career since graduation.

I’ve taught theatre to students in grades 6-12. I have also taught Public Speaking and Film & Literature. I occasionally tutor Language Arts by guiding students in close reading practices. Through my master’s program, I travelled to England, Ireland, and Northern Ireland. I focused on Drama in Education and Applied Theatre (using theatre to promote social change). I completed my degree in September of 2018. For three years, I also performed in a Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre troupe called The Dinner Detective. Ultimately, my most fulfilling experiences have been teaching students about theatrical performance and getting to see all of their hard work pay off onstage. 

How did your Honors College experience contribute to your success?

I am thankful for my strong background in research. While I was initially intimidated by the Senior Thesis, I am grateful for the experience of delving into women’s roles in theatre throughout time and across cultures. This prepared me for all of the research and writing I would do in graduate school. Also, this serves me well as an educator as I strive to use data-driven best practices in teaching.

What advice do you have for current students?

I would strongly advise studying abroad. It’s incredible getting to experience another culture. I would also encourage students to try courses that are outside of their current comfort zones. Sometimes we can’t fully grow and develop until we venture into the unknown. Get to know your professors as much as you can. They have so much content knowledge, but they also have a variety of life experiences that they can share.

Did you study abroad in college? If so, where and what did you like most about the experience?

In 2012, I went to London, England and studied under Dr. Rick Taylor and Dr. Will Banks. Our courses were British Children’s Literature and Multicultural London. It had long been a dream of mine to see a play at the Globe Theatre. I was mesmerized by the costumes and the actors’ interpretation of Richard III. It’s incredible being in a city with centuries of history around every corner. My three weeks “across the pond” were filled with conversations about great literature and unique theatrical outings.