Alumni Spotlight: Kristen Martin

Name: Kristen Martin

Graduation Year: 2015

Major (minor if applicable): Communication (journalism concentration) & English double major

Graduate Degree: Just applied to attend ECU for my master’s in communication

What is one of your favorite memories from ECU?

I have too many to list, but I would have to include all of the late night talks with Britt and the ridiculous shenanigans I would get in with Katie.

What did you do in the year immediately after graduating?

I started working at Cooke Communications in Greenville, NC as a copy desk editor. I primarily worked on the Rocky Mount Telegram.

What is your current job (or degree program if still in school)?

Currently, I’m working at East Carolina University as a public communications specialist. I split my time between the Honors College and the College of Education.

Provide a brief summary of your career since graduation.

I worked as a copy desk editor at Cooke Communications (which later became Adams Publishing Group) beginning in July 2015. I started out on the Rocky Mount Telegram but, by the time I left in April 2019, I was working on multiple papers including the Reflector, the Daily Advance, Tarboro Weekly, and Chowan Herald among others. In April 2019, I began my current job at ECU with the Honors College and College of Education. Now, I’m in the process of applying for my master’s degree in communication at ECU.

How did your Honors College experience contribute to your success?

Through the Honors College, I was able to connect with students in a variety of majors and programs that I would not have been able to without the college. I was able to experience classes that I would not have taken through the Honors seminars, including my absolute favorite seminar, Fantastic Archaeology. Being around other students who were as driven as myself helped reinforce my work ethic. Being an Honors student also helped when I was applying for internships and on-campus jobs. These experiences helped me to get to the career path that I’m pursuing today.

What advice do you have for current students?

Take advantage of all of the opportunities that you have while in college. Throw yourself into things that interest you. And don’t freak out if you don’t necessarily have a job lined up right after graduation. You don’t have to immediately start your dream career as soon as you cross the stage.

Did you study abroad in college? If so, where and what did you like most about the experience?

I did not study abroad, but if could go back in time I would have!

Do you have any social media handles that you want us to tag?

You can connect with Kristen on:
Instagram: @krislmart
Twitter: @krislmartin