Alumni Spotlight: Carly Judd

Name: Carly Monet Judd

Graduation Year: 2019

Major (minor if applicable): Neuroscience BS, Art History BS

What is one of your favorite memories from ECU?

One of my favorite memories from ECU is being able to show my five big paintings from the Honors Makers Residency in the student center window for 6 months! It was an amazing opportunity to have my art in a very visible place on campus. Also, I loved all the EC Scholar trips-we made so many good memories and I grew so close to my cohort that way. There are honestly too many good memories to count!

What did you do in the year immediately after graduating?

In the year immediately after graduation, I decided to jump off the deep end and pursue my passion for art full time. It was a risky choice but it has changed my life.

What is your current job (or degree program if still in school)?

My current job, two years later, is still a full time artist!

Provide a brief summary of your career since graduation.

My career so far has involved me working with muItiple brands and influencers with graphic design. I also take commissions for my lyric artwork and have completed a few murals as well. Currently I am working on publishing my first poetry book.

How did your Honors College experience contribute to your success?

My Honors College experience gave me the confidence and the tools to believe in taking risks and not only believing in myself, but acting on that belief. Genuinely, I would not be where I am today without my experience at the Honors College. 

What advice do you have for current students?

My best advice would actually be a question. What would you do with your life if the opinions of others did not exist? Meditate on that question. Don’t do anything that you are doing more for someone else, or more for the status, than for the love of that career or path. 

Did you study abroad in college? If so, where and what did you like most about the experience?

I did study abroad in college through Semester at Sea! SAS was a sea journey starting in San Diego that went to Hawaii, Japan, China, Vietnam, Myanmar, India, Mauritius, South Africa, Ghana, Morocco, and ending in Portugal. What I loved most about this experience is how it challenged my entire worldview. I learned so much about the world and how little I actually know, while growing to learn and love myself at the same time. 

Do you have any social media handles that you want us to tag?

You can connect with Carly on:
Twitter: @carlsjuddster
Instagram: @cj.monet
Facebook: Carly Judd
Website: www.cjmonetart.com