Alumni Spotlight: Rachel Mehaffey

Name: Rachel Mehaffey

Graduation Year: 2014

Major (minor if applicable): BS Chemistry, BS Applied Physics, minor Hispanic Studies

Graduate degree (if applicable): PhD Chemistry

What is one of your favorite memories from ECU?

Many of my favorite memories from ECU involve late night studying sessions with my friends in the basement of Joyner Library.

What did you do in the year immediately after graduating?

The week after graduating from ECU, I moved to Austin, TX to start graduate school at the University of Texas at Austin working towards a PhD in analytical chemistry.

What is your current job (or degree program if still in school)?

I will start a position soon as a postdoctoral researcher.

Provide a brief summary of your career since graduation.

Immediately after graduation in 2014, I started graduate school at the University of Texas at Austin in the lab of Dr. Jenny Brodbelt. During my time in graduate school I used an analytical tool called mass spectrometry to study biomolecules involved in diseases such as cancer, influenza, and antibiotic resistant infections. I successfully defended my dissertation in August 2020 and will soon start a position as a postdoctoral researcher. My long-term career goal is to become a chemistry professor at a primarily undergraduate institution.

How did your Honors College experience contribute to your success?

During my time at ECU, the faculty and staff of the Honors College provided an invaluable resource for support and mentorship. Additionally, the courses offered by the Honors College helped open my eyes to new experiences and shape my world view. Being a part of the Honors College also afforded me many opportunities to develop strong leadership and communication skills, both of which have greatly contributed to my success today.

What advice do you have for current students?

My advice for current students is that it is completely okay if you still don’t know what you want to do or where you want to end up. Change your major, try new experiences, and eventually you’ll find where you belong.

Did you study abroad in college? If so, where and what did you like most about the experience?

Yes, I spent the summer of 2012 in Córdoba, Argentina. My favorite part of this experience was immersing myself in a completely new culture and having the opportunity to improve my fluency in Spanish.