Alumni Spotlight: Sarah Lisson

Name: Sarah Lisson

Graduation Year: 2016

Major (minor if applicable): Nutrition & Dietetics

What is one of your favorite memories from ECU?

Selection Sunday is one of the first memories that comes to mind. My own experience as an EC Scholars finalist was a huge factor in my decision to attend ECU, and helping to recreate that experience for future classes was always a highlight of my year. I’ve been fortunate to participate a couple of times as an alumna as well, and it’s still just as exciting. Of course, I also have to mention the ECU-UNC football game in 2014. Watching a decisive Pirate victory with my best friends under a purple and gold sky made for a truly unforgettable night!

What did you do in the year immediately after graduating?

I went straight into graduate school at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville, where I studied nutrition and public health and completed my dietetic internship. The Honors College curriculum turned out to be great preparation for my graduate program, which heavily emphasized experiential learning and community engagement.

What is your current job (or degree program if still in school)?

I am a registered dietitian and I currently work as a public health nutritionist at Knox County Health Department in Knoxville, Tennessee. I work with our community partners, including hospitals and nonprofits, to implement breastfeeding promotion initiatives. I’m also the main dietitian for our Centers of Excellence clinic, where I provide outpatient counseling for conditions like diabetes and hypertension.

Provide a brief summary of your career since graduation.

After finishing graduate school and earning my registered dietitian credentials in 2019, I took a position with Aramark as a K-12 dietitian in Fort Worth, Texas. My primary responsibilities were planning menus, ensuring compliance with federal child nutrition program standards, and managing the needs of students with food allergies. There were a lot of things I loved about Texas, but after several months of navigating the COVID-19 pandemic I realized I wanted to live closer to friends and family. I was lucky enough to find an opportunity in Knoxville that was a perfect fit, and I started my new position at the beginning of 2021. Knoxville is a great city and I’m so happy to be back!

How did your Honors College experience contribute to your success?

My postgraduate life would likely look totally different if not for the Honors College and the EC Scholars program. I came into college knowing that I wanted to be a dietitian but had a fairly narrow idea of what my future career would look like. Through the research, internship, and study abroad opportunities I had as a Scholar and Honors student, I discovered an entire range of careers I didn’t even know existed. As I explored my options and planned my next steps, I had the unwavering and unconditional support of the Honors College faculty, always willing to offer encouragement or celebrate a victory. Even though it’s been a few years since my last visit to campus, I know that I always have this incredible support network, for which I am eternally grateful.

What advice do you have for current students?

Pursue interests outside your major! One of my favorite things about my Honors College experience was the constant support and encouragement to explore things that had absolutely nothing to do with what I was studying. The faculty have always been great about listening to what students are interested in and providing opportunities to engage in those things, from seminars and research opportunities to living-learning trips and study abroad programs.

Did you study abroad in college? If so, where and what did you like most about the experience?

I went on two faculty-led summer programs- London with the Department of English, and Guatemala with the College of Nursing. Both programs ended up being transformative experiences, personally and professionally. Taking literature classes and attending plays in London helped me rediscover my love of reading and writing, and navigating such a big city on my own really bolstered my confidence and independence. In fact, I don’t know that I would have felt ready or been willing to consider graduate programs and jobs outside of North Carolina if not for that experience. Two years later, my time in Guatemala cemented my interest in public health and community nutrition, which informed my search for graduate programs.

Do you have any social media handles that you want us to tag?

My Instagram handle is @sarahlisson.rdn. I’m always happy to connect with current Honors students and EC Scholars there or on LinkedIn!