Alumni Spotlight: Mona Amin

Name: Mona Amin

Graduation Year: 2017

Major (minor if applicable): Biology

Graduate Degree: Currently a third year at Brody School of Medicine

What is one of your favorite memories from ECU?

The greenway! I loved that one of the entrances was right at the bottom of College Hill. It was a great way to get a quick run in between classes and extracurriculars.

What did you do in the year immediately after graduating?

In the first few months, I helped develop the Freshman Honors Curriculum centered around design thinking. It’s amazing to see how the curriculum has progressed in the short span of a few years. After that, I participated in a 2-month fellowship through Humanity in Action in Detroit, Michigan. There, I learned about social justice, urban development, and public health. After returning from Detroit I moved to Washington DC to start a new role with the Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC). While at WBENC, I continued working on a startup, Freshspire Inc. 

What is your current job (or degree program if still in school)?

I am currently a third-year medical student at ECU BSOM. 

Provide a brief summary of your career since graduation.

After graduating, I moved to DC to work as the manager of Innovation Initiatives at WBENC. WBENC’s mission is to empower female owned businesses by connecting them to Fortune 500 companies. Outside of work, I continued to lead Freshspire as the Director of Business Development. Freshspire is a tech startup that aims to connect farmers and distributors/grocery stores to increase access to local food. They continue to do amazing work in the Triangle today. After spending two years in DC, I moved back to Greenville to start my medical education at BSOM. 

How did your Honors College experience contribute to your success?

The Honors College was very supportive through my time at ECU. Whether it was finding extra support for my extracurricular organizations or tailoring my class schedule to meet career interests, honors college faculty was there every step of the way. Dr. Fraley would constantly check in in to ask for updates on classes, extracurriculars, and more. He has continued to do the same with Honors students at Brody as well. 

What advice do you have for current students?

Undergraduate years are a time to explore your interests. Don’t be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone and start an organization or take a class outside of your major. While these 4 years are a stepping stone into possible careers later in life, this is wonderful time to find some of your true passions. 

Did you study abroad in college? If so, where and what did you like most about the experience?

I did not study abroad, but if could go back in time I would have!

Do you have any social media handles that you want us to tag?

You can connect with Mona on:
Twitter: @mona_amin_